Qualifications / Memberships
- University of Waterloo. Ph.D. in Regional Planning and Resource Development. April 1988.
- University of British Columbia. Master of Forestry. June 1979.
- University College of North Wales, Bangor. B.Sc. (Honours) Forestry. June 1977.
- Member – International Society of Arboriculture Panel of Experts examining a new Risk Assessment Qualification, 2009 to 2013.
- Member – International Society of Arboriculture Best Management Practices – Risk Assessment 2008 to 2012.
- Member – International Society of Arboriculture Best Management Practices – Managing Trees During Construction. 2008.
- Member – International Society of Arboriculture Plant Evaluation & Appraisal Committee 2006 to date.
- Past President Pacific Northwest Chapter, ISA. September 2006 to 2008.
- President Pacific Northwest Chapter, ISA. September 2004 – September 2006.
- Vice President Pacific Northwest Chapter, ISA. September 2002 – September 2004.
- Director – December 1996 to 2002.
- Chairman – 78th Annual conference of the International Society of Arboriculture in Seattle, USA. 2002.
- Co chairman – Pacific Northwest Chapter of ISA conference, Harrison, British Columbia, Canada. 2001.
- ISA delegate – Council of Trees and Landscape Appraisers in Washington, D.C. 2000 to 2002.
- Panel member – Canadian Institute of Planners accreditation for the Environmental Science course, University of Calgary. February 2000.
- Member – Journal of Arboriculture review committee 1999.
- Member – Board of Examiners for the American Society of Consulting Arborists Academy in 1998 / 1999.
- Director – International Society of Arboriculture, Canadian Research Trust. 1998 to 2005.
- Chairman – Planning Institute of B.C. accreditation committee for the University of Northern British Columbia’s undergraduate and graduate planning degrees. April 1996.
- Member in the research and rewriting of the 1997 B.C. Society of Landscape Architects / B.C. Nursery Trades Association British Columbia Landscape Standard 1996/1997.
- Dunster, J.A., and Murray, S. M. 1997 Arboriculture and the Law in Canada. Champaign, International Society of Arboriculture.
- Dunster, J.A., and Dunster, K. 1996. Dictionary of Natural Resource Management. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- Dunster, J.A., and Gibson, R.B. 1989. Forestry and Assessment. Development of the Class Environmental Assessment for Timber Management in Ontario. Toronto: The Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy.
- Dunster, Julian A., E. Thomas Smiley, Nelda Matheny, and Sharon Lilly. 2013. Tree Risk Assessment Manual. Champaign, Illinois. International Society of Arboriculture.
- Dunster, J. 2009. Tree Risk Assessment in Urban Areas and the Urban-Rural Interface. Course Manual: Silverton, Oregon. Pacific Northwest Chapter, International Society of Arboriculture. pp. 70.
Professional Experience – samples
- Designer and lead instructor of the Certified Tree Risk Assessor Program, administered by Pacific Northwest Chapter, International Society of Arboriculture.
- Expert witness at tree fatality inquests in Ontario and Hong Kong.
- Expert witness testimony in court cases involving trespass, tree damage appraisals, risk assessment, cause of tree failure.
- Conducted audit of sustainable forestry operation in Region XII, Chile 1999.
- Conducted the Environmental Impact Assessment of the Proposed Pulp Mill development in the Bara Forest District, Nepal (IUCN). 1994.
- Project leader and author of the Environmental Impact Assessment Guidelines for all Forestry Projects in Nepal (IUCN). 1992.
- Certified Arborist # PNW 0189 International Society of Arboriculture.
- Registered Professional Forester # 1701, Association of BC Forest Professionals.
- Registered Professional Planner. Member Canadian Institute of Planners, Planning Institute of British Columbia.
- Registered Consulting Arborist # 378 in the American Society of Consulting Arborists.
- Certified Tree Risk Assessor # 1. PNW ISA Tree Risk Assessor Programme. Lead instructor.
- International Society of Arboriculture. Tree Risk Assessment Qualified. Instructor.